Hello, Javan Makhmali here. I’m a programmer at Basecamp and work remotely from Ann Arbor, Michigan. You can find me on twitter, github, and at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent favorite reads from the web
- The Fallacy of ‘Love What You Do’
- King of Clickbait
- Pregnant, and No Civil Rights
- Thirty Things I’ve Learned
Recent open source contributions
- Fix that the progress bar would fill the entire screen in Safari 6 (rails/turbolinks)
- Guard against enabling the progress bar in unsupported browsers (rails/turbolinks)
- Progress bar (rails/turbolinks)
- Extract PNG images from Apple’s “Apple Color Emoji.ttf” font (github/gemoji)
- Parse bitmap data from sbix tables (prawnpdf/ttfunk)
- Mig Reyes and I talked about how we—a designer and programmer—work together. Watch a brief video recap and see photos from the event.
If you’d like to discuss a speaking engagement, email me at email@example.com.
Some things that happened
- 2013 Launched Emojisaurus with some friends for the 48 hour Rails Rumble competition. We won 5th place.
- 2011 Became the 21st signal to work at 37signals (now Basecamp).
- 2009 Created Whenever, a Ruby Gem for managing cron jobs. Three million downloads later it has become an industry standard.
- 2008 Joined the team at Inkling Markets, one of the earliest Y Combinator startups, and spent two happy years working there with Nate and Adam.
- 2007 Worked with Miranda July to launch No one belongs here more than you. It spread like wildfire.
- 1981 Hello world.
Thanks for stopping by!